For millions of Americans, the serious problem of excessive underarm sweat can interfere with all aspects of daily life. When an individual seeks treatment for this condition, a doctor often starts by recommending prescription-strength antiperspirant, often not very effective. For years, Botox injections have also been used to treat individuals with hyperhidrosis, but results of the procedure lack permanence. In 2011, the FDA officially cleared the miraDry system to treat auxiliary hyperhidrosis (excessive underarm sweat). It remains the only FDA-cleared non-surgical device to treat excessive underarm sweat and in 2015, miraDry was also FDA-cleared for the reduction of underarm odor, as well!
Botox for Underarm Sweat Reduction
Previously, patients suffering from excessive underarm sweat had to rely on BOTOX® Cosmetic to reduce underarm sweat. During the procedure, the patient receives 10-15 injections to the underarm area, temporarily blocking the secretion of the chemical that controls the sweat glands. This underarm sweat treatment is temporary and requires repeated injections, discomfort, and ongoing expense. Although Botox is considered safe for underarm use, it is not cleared by the FDA.
miraDry for Underarm Sweat Reduction
The miraDry procedure is a non-surgical, clinically-proven and FDA-cleared to reduce underarm sweat, odor and hair using thermal energy. Most miraDry patients experience immediate results with as little as a single one-hour treatment, with little to no downtime. Some patients suffering from auxillary hyperhidrosis (excessive underarm sweat) will often require a second follow-up treatment. As sweat glands in the treated areas are gone for good, miraDry offers a permanent reduction of excess sweat with lasting efficacy.
miraDry® works by delivering precisely controlled electromagnetic energy to the underarm area, destroying the underarm sweat glands so that they are no longer able to produce sweat. As an added bonus, the electromagnetic energy also treats a significant amount of the oil glands that produce underarm odor, as well as a significant amount of the hair follicles in the underarm area after just one treatment.
Benefits of miraDry For Underarm Sweat Reduction
- Long-lasting reduction of underarm sweat
- Non-surgical, one hour treatment
- Associated reduction of associated underarm odor (82%)
- Associated reduction of underarm hair on all skin colors and types (70%)
- Toxin-free treatment
- Reduction of underarm stains in clothing
- Cost effective compared to Botox treatments or ongoing dry cleaning of stained shirts
Premier Vein & Body by Schwartz was one of the first physicians to offer the miraDry treatment in the Kansas City area. To learn more about the miraDry underarm sweat treatment in Kansas City, schedule your complimentary consultation by filling out the form on this page or by calling the practice at (913) 451-8346 . Premier Vein & Body by Schwartz is located in Leawood, KS and also serves Overland Park, Johnson County and the entire Kansas City metro area.
* This blog provides general information and discussion about medicine, health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately-licensed physician.