How to Choose a Vein Doctor
As a patient with concerns about your varicose or spider veins, there are many options for treatment. In fact, the Kansas City metro area has one of the largest concentrations of “vein specialists” in the Midwest. However, anyone can say they are a “vein specialist”. The Kansas and Missouri boards of medicine allow any licensed physician to practice medicine and surgery, but they do not specify the scope of a doctor’s practice. As a result, there are many physicians who are “board certified” in other specialties and refer to themselves as “vein specialists”, but few of these providers are vascular surgeons or have extensive education or training, specifically, in vein disease.
Vein disease is a VASCULAR problem, and, as such, VASCULAR Surgeons are uniquely trained and experienced to deal with all aspects of the problem, including the evaluation, treatment and post-procedural care. Because venous disease may involve the superficial or deep systems, lower or upper extremities, chest, abdomen or pelvis, comprehensive vascular knowledge and procedural skills are required for the vein specialist to treat the breadth of issues vein patients may present. Vascular surgeons are uniquely qualified to approach vein disease with a comprehensive view, and are not just focused on the obvious visible veins.
Credentials and Experience Matter Most
The training, background and experience of your physician are important in obtaining quality results from your vein treatment. To be a true “vein expert,” a physician should possess the following:
- Board-certified in Vascular Surgery, possessing both depth of experience and clinical expertise with the venous system
- Diplomate of the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine and member of the American Board of Phlebology, which was established in 2007 to improve the standards of medical care provided in the vein treatment industry
- Specialization in vein treatment, treating vein disease daily, not once per week or in-between non-related cases
- Knowledge in treating the entire range of venous issues, such as, not only varicose and spider veins, but also perforators, venous stasis ulcers, thrombosis (clots) recurrences, etc.
- Experience in the field of venous disorders with thousands of treated vein patients
- In-office diagnosis and treatment using state-of-the-art Duplex ultrasound and lasers not requiring off-site testing or hospitalization
- Vein-specific billing knowledge and staff experience dealing with the intricacies of the various insurance providers for obtaining optimal coverage for vein treatment
Dr. Craig Schwartz is a triple board-certified surgeon in vascular surgery, general surgery and phlebology. Affectionately known as “KC’s Vein Guy,” Dr. Schwartz has performed more than twelve thousand vein procedures and has been a KC-area leader in the area of vein treatment since 2003. As one of the Midwest’s most prominent and accomplished vein specialists, Dr. Schwartz has been voted to America’s Top Surgeons in 2008, 2014, 2015 and 2016; chosen as Kansas City Super Doctor in 2013, 2014 and 2015; and has most recently been named a Real Self Top Doctor by RealSelf.com. Located in Leawood, KS, Premier Vein & Body by Schwartz, (formerly Vein Centers for Excellence of Kansas City) was one of the first dedicated Kansas City vein treatment centers.
There is no substitute for experience and training. If you want quality care of your varicose and spider veins, there has never been a better time to treat your veins with Dr. Craig Schwartz at Premier Vein & Body.
To learn more about Vein Treatment, schedule your consultation with Dr. Schwartz by filling out the form on this page or by calling his practice at (913) 451-8346 . Premier Vein & Body by Schwartz serves Kansas City, Leawood, and Overland Park.